A while back I provided instructions on setting up LinPhone to use SipGate UK for Voice Over IP. Now, Ubuntu 6.04 Dapper is out, and comes with the all-new Ekiga softphone! Here’s how to set it up to use SipGate.
- Sign up for a SipGate account.
- Once you’ve got one, sign into the SipGate website and click “My Account”.
- Under “Connection Information”, it will list your SIP-ID (a 7-digit number) and password, which you need for the next steps.
- Start Ekiga, and go through the configuration wizard. Don’t sign up for an ekiga.net account.
- Say Edit > Accounts, and then Add.
- In Account Name, enter
- Leave Protocol as SIP.
- In Registrar, put
- In User and Password, put your SIP-ID and password from step 3 above and say OK.
That’s it. No port-forwarding required, no complex setup. Well done the
Ekiga people! To test your new setup, call
which is an echo test.